Active learning is a key to making progress in English, or in any endeavor. The Greek philosopher Socrates knew this as far back as the 400’s BC when he talked about the difference between active and passive learning (in his own words):
Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Let me do and I understand.Socrates
It’s not just ancient philosophers who think that. A recent study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences confirms Socrates’s hunch. The study found that students learned more with active learning strategies than with passive (listening) strategies alone.
Active learning in English
If active learning helps you make faster progress, how can you work active learning strategies into your English study?
To find the answer, I researched the difference between active and passive learning and I found some great ideas for active learning in English.
I collected all my findings into a free 30-minute workshop. The video below is just a preview:
What’s included in the workshop
In the workshop, you’ll learn:
- What is active and passive learning?
- Advantages and disadvantages of each
- Is passive learning useless?
- How to be an active learner in English
- How to use Plain English in your learning plan
The full workshop is called “Be an active learner” and it includes a 30-minute video, a written summary, and a quiz.
Active learning and Plain English
Plain English is an online platform that helps learners everywhere in the world upgrade their English with current events and trending topics. Many of our members already use Plain English actively.
- Free members use the audio and transcripts to listen actively, improve their pronunciation, and learn new words.
- Plus+ members use the interactive exercises, live calls, personal feedback, and writing prompts to make faster progress toward their goals.
Make your own strategy
The workshop has lots of ideas for becoming a more active learner. However, the possibilities are endless. The important thing is to find a strategy that’s right for you and that includes both active and passive strategies.
Ready to get started? Take the full workshop here 👉 Full workshop: Be an active English learner.